Dark Chocolate Walnut Cake
Products: Hand Mixers, Stand Mixers
Recommended Hamilton Beach® Product: Hand Mixers
- 8 oz. semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 cup finely ground walnuts
- 3 oz. semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the top of a double boiler, over simmering water, melt chocolate. Set aside and cool slightly.
- In a small mixing bowl, using whisks, beat egg whites stiff but not dry. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, on medium speed, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time. Combine flour and cocoa. Reduce to low speed, then add flour mixture to butter/egg mixture and mix until blended. Add chocolate and nuts and mix. On low speed add half of beaten egg whites to chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining whites by hand.
- Pour mixture into greased and flouredtube or bundt pan. Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
- The cake will not rise to the top of the pan. A crust will form on the top but the center will be moist.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes then turn out onto cooling rack. The cake will fall. Let cool completely then drizzle with glaze.
- To make glaze, combine chocolate and milk in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir occasionally until melted, then spoon over top of cake, letting glaze drip down sides.