North Carolina Pork Barbecue for Roaster Ovens
Course: Main Course
Products: Roaster Ovens
- 10 pounds pork shoulder or Boston blade roasts
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (28 oz. each) whole tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 Tablespoons crushed red pepper
- Remove rack and insert pan from roaster oven. You will not need it for this recipe.
- Heat roaster oven to 325°F.
- Line insert of pan with aluminum foil. Place pork in pan. Place pan in oven and cover.
- In a large mixing bowl combine remaining ingredients. Stir to mix and break up whole tomatoes.
- Pour vinegar mixture over pork.
- Cook for 3 hours or until meat falls away from bone. Internal meat temperature should reach at least 160°F. Remove meat and slice or mince. Spoon sauce over pork to serve.
TEST KITCHEN TIP: Use kitchen shears to cut tomatoes while still in the can.