Course: Soups, Stews and Chili
Products: Slow Cookers
All the ingredients of a great cheeseburger, cooked in a slow cooker and made into a soup. To find out more about this recipe, visit our Everyday Good Thinking blog.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large red onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) beef broth
- 2 cans (10 3/4 oz. each) fat free condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 package (8 oz.) sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 package (8 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- Garnishes: Arugula, freshly ground black pepper, cheddar cheese, grape tomatoes
- Garlic Toast
- Cook first 4 ingredients in a large nonstick skillet over high heat, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until beef is browned. Stir in Worcestershire and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add beef mixture to slow cooker crock. Stir in broth, soup, mustard and mushrooms until well blended.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 3 to 3 1/2 hours or LOW 6 to 7 hours. Whisk together flour and 1/2 cup water and whisk into soup. Cook uncovered 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off slow cooker or place on the WARM setting and add cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in chives. Top with garnishes. Serve with Garlic Toast.
- Garlic Toast: Preheat Countertop Oven with Rotisserie to 400⁰F. on the convection setting. Line the small baking pan with foil. Stir together 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and 1 pressed garlic clove. Brush 12 baguette slices with mixture and place on pan. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges.
Test Kitchen Tip: If you have a slow cooker with stove-top safe cookware, substitute the cookware for the skillet in the directions above. After browning the beef and blending ingredients, place cookware in base, cover and cook as directed in recipe.