Chicken Chorizo, Lentil & Bean Soup
Course: Soups, Stews and Chili, Main Course
Products: Slow Cookers, Food Processors
Recommended Hamilton Beach® Product: Food Processors, Slow Cookers
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large onion, peeled, quartered
- 12 oz chorizo chicken sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 3 carrots, peeled, sliced
- 1 lb. brown lentils, rinsed well and drained
- 3 cans (15 oz. each) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (14 oz. each) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can (14 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ fresh lime, juiced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cayenne
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme, for garnish
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- In food processor, process garlic with chopping blade until minced. Add onion and process until coarsely chopped.
- Combine chorizo, carrots, lentils, chicken broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, onion, garlic, cayenne pepper and thyme sprigs in slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 hours OR LOW for 6 hours until lentils are soft. Remove thyme sprigs.
- Just before serving, stir in lime juice and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF
- With pizza cutter, slice tortillas into thin strips and place on baking sheet.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper and ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne.
- Drizzle olive oil over strips and toss with tongs. Sprinkle strips with combined spices and toss again with tongs until well coated.
- Bake in oven for 8 minutes, tossing once, until browned and crispy.
- Spoon soup into bowls and garnish with fresh thyme and Spicy Tortilla Strips.
Test Kitchen Tip: 12 oz turkey kielbasa can be substituted for the chorizo chicken sausage