Course: Main Course
Products: Outdoor Gas Grills
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 to teaspoon chopped jalapeno pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 4 hamburger buns
- Combine ground chuck, salt, and pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Shape the mixture into four patties, each 3/4-inch thick in the center and at the edges. (Even thickness ensures even cooking and prevents the edges from the drying out before the center is cooked).
- Place the patties on the grill. Grill for 7 to 10 minutes per side, turning once. Make a small incision in the center of the each patty to determine doneness.
- Toast the buns by placing them, split side down, on the edges of the grill grid for about 1 minute until lightly browned.
- Remove the burgers from the grill. Serve on toasted buns with salsa and slices of ripe avocado.
Test Kitchen Tip: According to the US Dept. of Agriculture, all ground meat should be cooked to at least medium doneness - 160 degrees - or until the center of the patty is no longer pink. Visit www.foodsafety.gov for more information.