- In heavy saucepan, combine milk, sugar, and salt.
- Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until mixture is steaming.
- Reduce heat to low.
- In a separate bowl, slightly beat eggs.
- Slowly whisk half of the hot mixture into the eggs and pour back into the saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat until slightly thick, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and refrigerate until chilled or overnight.
- When ready to make ice cream, stir heavy cream and vanilla into chilled custard mixture.
- Pour into frozen ice cream canister
TRY THESE VARIATIONS BY ADDING EXTRA INGREDIENTS TO MIXTURE:Black Forest:
Mix in ½ cup chocolate syrup and 1 can of pitted Bing cherries, drained and halved.Chocolate Covered Peanuts:
Mix in 1 ½ cups chocolate syrup and chocolate-covered peanuts. Cookies and Cream:
Reduce sugar to 1 ½ cups. Mix in 30 cream –filled sandwich cookies, broken in small pieces. Orange-ade:
Mix in 1 (12 oz.) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed and undiluted. Mint-Chocolate Chip:
Replace vanilla extract with 1 teaspoon of mint extract. Add 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips, 4 drops of green food coloring (optional) to mixture.Peanut Butter:
Mix in 2 cups of chunky peanut butter and mix well.Chocolate Chip Walnut:
Add 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate bits and 1 cup chopped walnuts; Strawberry-Banana:
Add in 6 mashed bananas and 1 quart coarsely chopped strawberries.
Double Almond Chocolate:
Replace vanilla extract with almond extract. Add 6 ounces finally chopped semisweet chocolate squares and 2 cups chopped almonds to mixture. Cookie Dough:
Add 1 roll (18 ounces) refrigerated raw cookie dough, cut into small pieces, to mixture.Banana Pudding:
Add 1 cup mashed bananas and 12 crushed vanilla wafers to cream mixture.