1. Preheat Roaster Oven to 450°F.
2. In a plastic bag combine flour, salt and pepper. Add beef and toss to coat.
3. In a skillet over medium high heat brown beef and onions in vegetable oil. Stir occasionally until beef is browned. Add garlic during last few minutes.
4. Spoon browned beef cubes and onions into insert pan. Add remaining ingredients.
5. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
6. Then reduce temperature to 225°F and simmer for 3 hours. Leave covered. The flavor is enhanced if allowed to cool, refrigerate overnight, then reheat.
- Visit www.foodsafety.gov
for more information. Serves: 16-20
Be sure to use a large skillet when browning the meat and onions. If it is too crowded, the meat tends to steam rather than brown.
3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder can be used in place of 2 tablespoons of minced garlic.