Course: Desserts, Kid Friendly
Products: Slow Cookers
- 2 bags (11 oz. each) vanilla flavored caramels, unwrapped
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 8 to 10 small apples
- 8 to 10 wooden sticks or chopsticks
- Sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, chopped nuts, crushed cookies or pretzels, sea salt
- Place caramels and water in 3-quart slow cooker crock.
- Cover and cook for 40 to 60 minutes on HIGH or 1 to 1 1/2 hours on LOW, stirring every 20 minutes until caramels are completely melted.
- Line a large tray with parchment paper. Spray parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray.
- Insert wooden sticks into stem end of apples.
- Dip apples in melted caramel until evenly coated. Spoon caramel over apples to coat evenly. Let excess drip back into slow cooker. Scrape excess from bottom of apple.
- Immediately decorate with sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, chopped nuts, crushed cookies or pretzels or sea salt.
- Place on prepared parchment paper. Refrigerate at least one hour to set. Remove from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature to soften 15 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips: We recommend using LOW for melting caramels. If you choose to use HIGH, stir frequently to avoid burning. Be sure to wash apples thoroughly to remove any wax. If caramel mixture becomes too thick, stir in additional water. Work quickly to add decorations while caramel is still sticky. Refrigerate immediately to allow caramel to set.