Course: Appetizers, Soups, Stews and Chili
Recommended Hamilton Beach® Product: Blenders
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 small onion cut in quarters
- 2 cups broccoli, cut in big chunks
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or bouillon
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in butter until onion is limp.
- Add chicken broth and broccoli. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Place broccoli, onion, and broth in blender jar*. Add milk, salt, and pepper.
- Blend for 5 seconds. Turn blender OFF.
- Remove cover and check consistency. For a smoother texture, replace cover and blend for 5 to 10 seconds. If desired, pour soup back into saucepan to reheat.
*When blending hot liquids, remove center-piece of two-piece lid. Hot liquids may push lid off jar during blending. To prevent possible burns; do not fill blender jar beyond the 3 cup (750 ml) level. With the protection of an oven mitt or thick towel, place on hand on top of lid. Keep exposed skin away from lid. Start blending at lowest speed. Serves: 1 (3 1/2 cup servings)