Course: Soups, Stews and Chili
Products: Slow Cookers
Recommended Hamilton Beach® Product: 5 Quart Slow Cooker, 6 Quart Slow Cooker
- 4 pounds very ripe tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- fresh goat cheese
- chopped fresh basil
1. Cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise and remove the stem. Cut each half into four pieces.
2. In the slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, oil, onion, water, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours, or until the tomatoes are soft.
3. Let the soup cool slightly. Place a food mill over a large bowl. Pass the soup through the food mill to remove the seeds and the skins. Reheat the soup, if necessary, and taste for seasoning.
4. Slice the goat cheese. Ladle the soup into bowls and top each portion with a slice of cheese. Garnish with basil and serve hot.
TEST KITCHEN TIP: If you do not have a food mill, peel and seed the tomatoes before cooking them.
This recipe developed by Hamilton Beach Brands, Inc.