Irish Beef Stew
Course: Soups, Stews and Chili, Main Course
Products: Slow Cookers
- 2 pounds beef for stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 12-ounce stout beer (or red wine)
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca (thickener)
- 10 small potatoes, washed and cut into bite size pieces
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut in eighths
- 1 14-ounce can beef broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Sprig of rosemary or thyme, optional
- Bread bowl, optional
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Trim fat from meat and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat oil on skillet (or stove top safe slow cooker vessel)
- Sear meat until brown on all sides (about 5 minutes) Remove meat.
- Add garlic and sauté about one minute
- Deglaze skillet with stout beer and pour contents into crock
- Place crock in base and sprinkle with tapioca
- Add potatoes, carrots, onion, beef broth, bay leaves, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW 8 hour or HIGH 4 hours.
- Remove bay leaves before serving. Add a sprig of rosemary, if desired.
- Serve in bread bowl or over noodle.
- This is the perfect opportunity to save money by purchasing less expensive cuts of meat. One or our favorites in the test kitchen is round steak. Or you can save time by purchasing already cubed beef.
- To deglaze - pour liquid into hot pan to remove all caramelized food bits to create sauce.