- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper or foil liners.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large measuring cup, mix together the buttermilk, food coloring, white vinegar and vanilla. Stir lightly until mixed.
- In a large bowl, add the oil and eggs and mix until combined, then add buttermilk mixture to oil/egg mixture and mix.
- Add flour mixture to the oil/egg/buttermilk mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool, then eat!
TEST KITCHEN TIP: Since the goal is to achieve a deep red colored cupcake, add more cocoa powder if the color of your batter is not deep enough.
Nutritional Information: Serving size: 1/16 of a recipe (2.7 ounces).Calories 321.69 • Calories From Fat (53%) 169.88 • Total Fat 19.23g 30% • Saturated Fat 2.75g 14% • Cholesterol 23.71mg 8% • Sodium 245.83mg 10% • Potassium 69.07mg 2% • Total Carbohydrates 35.11g 12% • Fiber 0.97g 4% • Sugar 19.4g • Protein 3.45g 7%