Course: Dressings, Sauces, Marinades
Products: Indoor Grills
Recommended Hamilton Beach® Product: Grills
- 2 large red ripe tomatoes (about 1&1/4 pounds), cored, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons peeled and diced red onion, (optional)
- About 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic or red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 12 slices crusty French bread, cut diagonally, about 3/4-inch thick
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, basil, red onion (if desired), 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the minced garlic, vinegar, and salt and pepper. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes but not longer than 2 hours.
- Place the bread slices on the grill. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes or until the bread is lightly toasted and golden on both sides, turning once.
- Remove and immediately rub the edges and one side of each slice with a garlic clove half. (Use a half clove for every 2 slices.) Drizzle about 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil onto the garlic-rubbed side of each slice.
- Stir the tomato mixture with a large spoon to thoroughly moisten; top each bread slice with about 1&1/2 tablespoons of the tomato mixture. Place on a platter and serve immediately.