Tomato Basil Soup
Course: Soups, Stews and Chili
Products: Slow Cookers
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounce each) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat olive oil in stovetop-safe slow cooker cookware over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook 2 minutes; stir in tomatoes and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato paste, basil, sugar, salt, red pepper and black pepper to cookware. Stir until well blended. Place in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or LOW for 4 hours. Stir in heavy cream before serving.
Test Kitchen Tip: If using a slow cooker with a ceramic crock, cook vegetables in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer ingredients to slow cooker crock and cook as directed.