Recommended Hamilton Beach® Product: Deep Fryer
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour milk or buttermilk
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream tartar
- White sugar for topping
Serves: 16 (2 doughnut servings)
- Beat shortening, sugar, and eggs together until creamy. Mix in cocoa. In a separate bowl combine vanilla and milk. Stir into sugar mixture.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cream of tarter in a large bowl. Stir into liquid mixture.
- Chill for two hours or overnight.
- Roll out half the dough on a lightly floured board to a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into doughnuts.
- Heat two inches of oil to 375°F.
- Lower basket and carefully slide doughnuts, (two at a time), into the preheated oil. Fry each doughnut about 90 seconds per side. Remove the doughnuts and drain on paper towels.
- Roll in sugar. Repeat with remaining dough.
Stay up-to-date on the hottest food trends with our blog, discover a new favorite dish with recipes from our Test Kitchen, access your account, and so much more.
Join over 100,000 people who receive weekly emails with recipes, coupons and more!
THIS IS NOT A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS.