- Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add milk and molasses and mix thoroughly.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Beat well.
- Pour batter into greased pan. Place in roaster oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes at 350°F until gingerbread begins to pull away slightly from sides of pan.
While bread is baking, make the sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Blend in hot water.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils and is slightly thickened.
- Stir in butter, juice of lemon, and grated lemon peel, mixing well until butter is melted. Serve warm or cold over gingerbread.