- Season beef roast with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in stovetop-safe slow cooker cookware over medium-high heat. Brown roast well on both sides.
- Surround roast with potatoes and carrots. Pour beef broth over all and top with thyme sprigs.
- Cover and place cookware on slow cooker base. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove roast to serving platter. Discard thyme sprigs. Using slotted spoon, remove vegetables to serving platter with roast. Cover with foil to keep warm.
Test Kitchen Tip: If using a slow cooker with crock, brown meat and cook onions and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer ingredients to slow cooker crock and cook as directed.