Mary Beth's Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Course: Soups, Stews and Chili, Kid Friendly
Products: Slow Cookers
An easy, soul warming chicken noodle soup made in a slow cooker.
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 3 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 1/2 to 4 pound whole chicken
- 1 package (12 oz.) wide egg noodles
- Combine chicken broth, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, turmeric, salt and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker crock.
- Place whole chicken on top of vegetables in crock. Cover and cook for 5 to 6 hours on HIGH or 7 hours on LOW. The best guide to chicken doneness is a meat thermometer. It should insert meat thregister 165°F in the breast or 175°F to 180°F in the thigh. To measure temperature, insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken breast or thickest part of the inner thigh, avoiding bone.
- Remove chicken and place on a cutting board to cool.
- Add egg noodles to slow cooker. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
- Remove skin and bones from chicken; shred meat. Add shredded chicken to mixture in slow cooker. Add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve immediately or freeze soup in serving-size portions.