Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas
Course: Main Course
Products: 6 Quart Slow Cookers, Food Choppers, Food Processors
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) cannellini beans, drained
- 1 can (4.5 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 package (2 cups) shredded colby jack cheese, divided
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat oil. Add onion and garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add chicken, beans, chiles, chili powder, cumin, salt and black pepper. Stir until well blended.
- Add 1/3 cup chicken mixture and 1 tablespoon of cheese to 1 tortilla. Roll up tightly and place in a slow cooker crock. Repeat with remaining chicken mixture, cheese and tortillas. (Tortillas will be tightly packed in crock.)
- Stir tomatoes with chilies and salsa. Pour over enchiladas.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or LOW for 4 hours. After cooking is complete and slow cooker is on WARM, sprinkle remaining cheese over enchiladas. Cover until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream and chopped cilantro.
Test Kitchen Tip: For smoother beans in the enchiladas, using the chopping/mixing blade in a food processor, pulse beans and 1 tablespoon water until smooth. Add additional water if needed. Spread about 1 tablespoon puree on each tortilla before adding chicken mixture. Repeat with remaining tortillas, puree and chicken mixture. Follow with Step 5.