Smoky Cajun Beer Can Chicken
Course: Main Course
Products: Outdoor Gas Grills
- Wood chips
- 1 (7-8 pounds) whole chicken
- 2 Tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (16 oz.) beer
- Soak wood chips in water at least one hour.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Tuck the chicken wing tips behind the back. Rub spice mixture over chicken.
- Prepare to grill chicken over indirect heat. Turn the two burners on each side of the SmokeStation™ drawer on MEDIUM heat GRILL ZONE (YELLOW). Leave the remaining burners in the OFF position.
- Open the beer can and pour out half the beer. Punch a few more holes in the top of the can with a can opener.
- Place the chicken cavity down over the top of the beer can.
- Transfer the chicken and the beer to the grill, placing over the burners in the OFF position. Balance the chicken on the beer can and legs like a tripod.
- Grill chicken until done (170°F in breast) and juices run clear.
- Carefully remove the chicken and beer can from the grill using a wide spatula. Be careful not to spill the beer as it will be hot.
- Let chicken rest 10 minutes before removing from beer can.
Serves: 4 to 6