Turkey Tortilla Soup
Course: Soups, Stews and Chili, Low-Fat, Main Course, Heart Healthy
Products: Slow Cookers
Use your leftover turkey or chicken for this hearty recipe to satisfy the biggest appetites.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 cups shredded leftover turkey
- 1 can (48 oz.) chicken broth
- 2 cans (10 oz. each) mild diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15.25 oz.) corn, drained
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- Tortilla chips
- Heat olive oil in stovetop-safe slow cooker cookware over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except tortilla chips. Stir until well blended. Place in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 2 hours on HIGH or 4 hours on LOW.
- Top with broken tortilla chips and garnish with sour cream, sliced avocado and chopped cilantro, if desired.