Free Shipping on Orders $75+
Find a Recipe

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Red Velvet Cupcakes


  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp red food coloring
  • 1 tbsp white vinegar
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/3 cup vegetable oil


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper or foil liners.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a large measuring cup, mix together the buttermilk, food coloring, white vinegar and vanilla. Stir lightly until mixed.
  4. In a large bowl, add the oil and eggs and mix until combined, then add buttermilk mixture to oil/egg mixture and mix.
  5. Add flour mixture to the oil/egg/buttermilk mixture and mix until incorporated.
  6. Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool, then eat!

Servings: 16

TEST KITCHEN TIP: Since the goal is to achieve a deep red colored cupcake, add more cocoa powder if the color of your batter is not deep enough.

Nutritional Information: Serving size: 1/16 of a recipe (2.7 ounces).Calories 321.69 • Calories From Fat (53%) 169.88 • Total Fat 19.23g 30% • Saturated Fat 2.75g 14% • Cholesterol 23.71mg 8% • Sodium 245.83mg 10% • Potassium 69.07mg 2% • Total Carbohydrates 35.11g 12% • Fiber 0.97g 4% • Sugar 19.4g • Protein 3.45g 7%

Course: Kid Friendly, Desserts

Prep Time: 0-10 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Recommended Products: Hand Mixers

Red Velvet Cupcakes nutritional information
FREE Recipe e-book

Join over 96,000 subscribers who receive weekly emails with recipes, coupons, and more!

Sign Up

​Thank you for signing up! You'll receive a confirmation email from us shortly.
Click HERE to download your free Top 23 Summer Slow Cooker Recipes eBook NOW.