Course: Main Course
Products: Hand Mixers, Food Processors
Savory beef, peas, corn and carrots in a rich gravy on the bottom and mashed potatoes on the top.
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 can (15 oz.) beef broth
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Cook potatoes in water in a medium saucepot over high heat until fork tender; drain water and return potatoes to saucepot. Add sour cream, butter, milk and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Beat with a hand mixer until mixture is smooth and well blended. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 8x8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add beef. Stir and cook 4 minutes. Add carrots, onion and garlic; cook an additional 4 minutes or until onions are clear.
- Stir in flour, salt, thyme and black pepper; stirring for 1 minute until flour is blended with beef mixture. Gradually stir in broth and Worcestershire sauce, cooking 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Stir in corn and peas.
- Pour mixture into prepared dish. Carefully, spread mashed potatoes over the meat mixture.
- Bake 25 minutes or until mixture potatoes start to brown and mixture is bubbling along the sides of the dish.
Serves: 6 to 8
Test Kitchen Tip: Substitute leftover mashed potatoes and bake 5 minutes longer.