Split Pea Soup
Course: Soups, Stews and Chili
Products: Slow Cookers
Recommended Hamilton Beach® Product: Slow Cookers
- 1 package (16 oz.) dried green split peas, rinsed
- 1 (8 to 10 oz.) ham steak, cubed
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 fresh parsley sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Arrange peas, ham, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and garlic evenly in slow cooker crock.
- Place parsley and bay leaf on top.
- Pour chicken broth and water over ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 to 6 hours or LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
- When peas and potatoes are soft, remove parsley and bay leaf.
- Blend with an immersion blender, if desired.
- If mixture is too thick, add more water or chicken broth as necessary. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired.