- Heat oil in deep fryer to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, pour pie filling and roughly chop apples. Stir in raisins.
- On a large cutting board, unroll pie crusts and cut out 4-inch circles using a cookie cutter or the top of a small bowl. Place circles on parchment or waxed paper.
- Brush beaten egg 1/4-inch around the edge of each circle and place 1 tablespoon apple mixture onto center.
- Fold circle in half to cover the filling. Seal edges of pastry with the tines of a fork. Place pies on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Cover and refrigerate until ready to deep fry. Repeat process with remaining crust and filling.
- Place a single layer of pies in frying basket. Lower basket into hot oil and fry for 6 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Cool slightly and coat with cinnamon sugar mixture.
Deep Fried Salted Caramel Apple Pies: Omit raisins. Cut 10 caramel candies in quarters and stir into the apple pie filling. To Glaze: Cut another 5 caramel candies into quarters. Place in a small microwavable bowl with 1/2 teaspoon water. Microwave on LOW power until slightly soft. Stir until smooth and drizzle over each slightly cooled pie. Sprinkle lightly with coarse sea salt.
Deep Fried Orange Cranberry Apple Pies: Substitute dried cranberries for raisins and add 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest. To Glaze: Stir together 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, 1/2 teaspoon milk and 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest. Drizzle over each slightly cooled pie.