North Carolina Pork Barbecue for Roaster Ovens
- 10 pounds pork shoulder or Boston blade roasts
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (28 oz. each) whole tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 Tablespoons crushed red pepper
- Remove rack and insert pan from roaster oven. You will not need it for this recipe.
- Heat roaster oven to 325°F.
- Line insert of pan with aluminum foil. Place pork in pan. Place pan in oven and cover.
- In a large mixing bowl combine remaining ingredients. Stir to mix and break up whole tomatoes.
- Pour vinegar mixture over pork.
- Cook for 3 hours or until meat falls away from bone. Internal meat temperature should reach at least 160°F. Remove meat and slice or mince. Spoon sauce over pork to serve.
TEST KITCHEN TIP: Use kitchen shears to cut tomatoes while still in the can.
Stay up-to-date on the hottest food trends with our blog, discover a new favorite dish with recipes from our Test Kitchen, access your account, and so much more.
Join over 100,000 people who receive weekly emails with recipes, coupons and more!
THIS IS NOT A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS.