Potato Leek Soup
Course: Soups, Stews and Chili
Products: Slow Cookers
A hearty slow cooker soup that warms you up from the inside out.
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled
- 3 large leeks
- 8 oz. bacon, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. Place in a large mixing bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside.
- To clean leeks, place in a colander and toss gently under running water. Trim both root and leaf ends and thinly slice.
- In stove-top safe slow cooker vessel or frying pan over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and reserve for garnish. Add leeks to bacon drippings and cook until they begin to wilt. Add wine, cook 2 minutes.
- Whisk together chicken broth, milk, flour, salt, thyme and pepper. Add to slow cooker. Drain potatoes and add to slow cooker.
- Place stove-top safe vessel in slow cooker. Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or LOW for 6 to 7 hours.
- With a hand blender, blend soup to desired texture. Can be left chunky, if desired. Serve with reserved bacon, rosemary and drizzle with oil olive, if desired.