- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp red food coloring
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper or foil liners.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large measuring cup, mix together the buttermilk, food coloring, white vinegar and vanilla. Stir lightly until mixed.
- In a large bowl, add the oil and eggs and mix until combined, then add buttermilk mixture to oil/egg mixture and mix.
- Add flour mixture to the oil/egg/buttermilk mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool, then eat!
TEST KITCHEN TIP: Since the goal is to achieve a deep red colored cupcake, add more cocoa powder if the color of your batter is not deep enough.
Nutritional Information: Serving size: 1/16 of a recipe (2.7 ounces).Calories 321.69 • Calories From Fat (53%) 169.88 • Total Fat 19.23g 30% • Saturated Fat 2.75g 14% • Cholesterol 23.71mg 8% • Sodium 245.83mg 10% • Potassium 69.07mg 2% • Total Carbohydrates 35.11g 12% • Fiber 0.97g 4% • Sugar 19.4g • Protein 3.45g 7%
Stay up-to-date on the hottest food trends with our blog, discover a new favorite dish with recipes from our Test Kitchen, access your account, and so much more.
Join over 100,000 people who receive weekly emails with recipes, coupons and more!
THIS IS NOT A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS.