Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- 3 pounds onions, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- French bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- In food processor using slicing disk, slice onions.
- In slow cooker crock, stir onion slices and garlic with olive oil until well coated.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 to 7 hours or LOW for 10 to 12 hours until onions are carmelized. Stir once or twice during cooking.
- Add beef stock, wine, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour or until heated through.
- While soup heats, cut bread to fit ramekins or oven-safe bowls. Spread butter on bread and toast under broiler.
- Ladle soup in ramekins or bowls. Top with bread and sprinkle generously with cheese. Place under broiler to melt cheese.
Stay up-to-date on the hottest food trends with our blog, discover a new favorite dish with recipes from our Test Kitchen, access your account, and so much more.
Join over 100,000 people who receive weekly emails with recipes, coupons and more!
THIS IS NOT A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS.