Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup light brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 3/4 pound rhubarb, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup hulled and halved strawberries
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 325°F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in oven, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup sugar over butter. Stir until well blended. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add strawberries uncut side down and rhubarb to pan.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt. Stir until blended.
- Using a hand mixer on medium speed, beat in remaining 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup sugar, eggs, milk, lemon juice and zest and vanilla extract until blended, about 2 minutes.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes on cooling rack. Invert onto serving plate.
Stay up-to-date on the hottest food trends with our blog, discover a new favorite dish with recipes from our Test Kitchen, access your account, and so much more.
Join over 100,000 people who receive weekly emails with recipes, coupons and more!
THIS IS NOT A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS.